3 stage linking to build proper relocatable dll?

At the article
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Jun/0205.html
Andrew Mickish (mickish@cmu.edu) wrote:
>2)  There is a complicated linking procedure involving ld and
intermediate
>files:
>
>      ld --base-file hello.base --dll -o hello.dll HelloWorldImp.o
init.o
> $(LIB) -e _dll_entry@12
>      dlltool --as=as --dllname hello.dll --def hello.def --base-file
> hello.base --output-exp hello.exp
>      ld --base-file hello.base hello.exp --dll -o hello.dll
HelloWorldImp.o
> init.o $(LIB) -e _dll_entry@12
>      dlltool --as=as --dllname hello.dll --def hello.def --base-file
> hello.base --output-exp hello.exp
>      ld hello.exp --dll -o hello.dll HelloWorldImp.o init.o $(LIB) -e
> _dll_entry@12

This is THREE stage linking and if I simply use a two stage process to
build
a relocatable DLL according to
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/building-reloc-dlls.txt
that DLL can not be loaded via LoadLibrary into a huge application like
JDK Java VM.

So the question is: is this need for the third stage a linker bug or a
necessary feature?

Regards, Igor Boukanov.

-