How to detect win9 vs NT?

Where do I look to see the approved cygwin32 method for an application to
determine whether it's running under NT or 95?  I'd like for libf2c at least
to be aware so that, for instance, cpu_time() may be made to work under 9x.
There may be others.

 Some of the functions which come with B19.1 are broken unnecessarily under
95, such as clock().  That would seem to be a close analogy with
system_clock(), which works.
-