RE: reading/writing to files

I don't know anything about cygwin and you may be using C, but I've had
problems with core dumps resulting from using C++ style strings with
C-style functions (C++ strings may not be null terminated depending upon
the implementation).  If you must use a C++ string with a C-style function,
probably best to convert it to a C-style string first (e.g..,
xxxx.c_str()).

Frank