Re: How to echo a string of more than 1024 chars in a bash script?

Kim Ollivier schrieb:

> I have a script that generates a header and standard script that now
> fails
> if I run it under NT4.0 and B19 Cynus bash shell. I think it used to
> work,
> but it certainly does in Solaris.
> eg
> # make a dummy script
> ... various variables and setup options
> ... dates etc
> echo "
> # comments
> Date: $DATE
> commands
> lots more lines.... more than 1024 chars in total
> " > scriptname
>
> The resulting scriptname file is truncated. Sometimes bash core dumps.
>
> Is this a bash limit, an environment setting, an echo command limit, or
> what.
> If it is a built-in limit, what simple shell scripting techniques get
> around it?
That is bad style! Try to use cat and a here-document instead:
cat << EOF > scriptname
# comments
DATE : $DATE
commands
EOF

I guess Your Environment Space is not large enough for such a long
command line - The command line and the environment variables use the
same space.
--
	Matthias Morche (mailto:morche@sat1.de)
		SAT.1 (http://www.sat1.de)