Re: FLORIDA FIRE VICTIMS - NEWS-GROUP-NEWS

> >Is this for real?  I tried the URL here and got nothing (404--Not Found).
> >Is there some way I can ensure that the address above has anything to
> >do with the Better Business Beareau?
> >
> >--
> >Todd Hartman           thartman@austin.ibm.com      (512)838-8789
>

> Todd,
>
> Checking the URL was the first thing I did too, although I was already
> highly suspicious.  I find it hard to believe that any reputable organization
> that wanted to help the fire victims would send some blanket email message
> on the net soliciting money.  I suppose there is the possibility that this
> is a real solicitation but I think a better bet is that it is spam.  If you
> or anyone else is interested in helping out victims of the fire in Florida,
> I suggest you contact authorities in Florida directly.  I'm sure they can
> direct you to completely reputable and valid organizations that will make
> sure your donations get to the right places and people.  Sending money to
> the above address is quite likely going to line someone's pocket in my
> estimation...
>

> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com

Well, naturally I was a bit suspicious because it looked like bulk e-mail.
Also, the URL had nothing to do with the "Better Business Council"
(whatever that is).  Also, when I sent a message to the sender
(hurricaine@mpinet.net--complete with misspelling), I got an automatic
reply saying that the person had been expelled for bulk e-mailing.  What
I was really hoping for with my original reply to the list was that the
person who sent it would respond to attempt to defend what appeared to
be a rather suspicious request for dough.  Thanks for the replies, though.

todd.

--
Todd Hartman           thartman@austin.ibm.com      (512)838-8789
The opinions which may or may not be explicitly expressed or implied in this