Re: Finding Out My Own IP-Address

Ron G. Minnich wrote:

> On Wed, 6 May 1998, $Bill Luebkert wrote:
> > > When I dial in to my provider via NT-RAS, I'm assigned a dynamic IP address -
> > > which is what I'm trying to find out.
> > $name = (gethostbyname ("localhost"))[0];
> > $addr = (gethostbyname ($name))[4];
> OK, I believe this works. But why doesn't
> gethostname
> followed by a gethostbyname? no gethostname entry?

Well, first I am also in the Perl mailing list and didn't realize
that the question was a GNU question and the same question appears
a lot on the Perl list so I answered it in Perl.  Perl doesn't
have gethostname function.

> Also why the [4]?

gethostbyname returns several vrbls and I wanted the
fourth one (which is the IP address).  Since using it in a scalar
context returns the fourth one anyway; you may leave it off.

You can do this in C with the method mentioned by someone earlier:

gethostbyname
socket
bind
connect to a well-known port (I tried 80 - my web server - and it worked)
getsockname

--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles