Re: About cygnus passwords and users

On 24 Apr 1998, Michael Hirmke wrote:

> >e are now testing Cygnus-Win32 networking abality, and we'd like to
> >have more informations about the users. We didn't succeeded in creating
> >users. We'd like to because we have inetd running with a view to enable
> >telnet sessions.
> >
> >Thanks a lot if someone can give us some explanations to create
> >users....
>
> Have a look at mkpasswd and mkgroup, which are inlcuded in the CDK as
> command line utils.
> For help just run them without parameters.

and then after you've done that, how is the resulting output used?
i ran mkpasswd and mkgroup to create /etc/passwd and /etc/group.
they are created with an empty password field.  i tried to use some of the
programs which i thought may reference these files, such as login, telnetd
and sshd, and login authentication failed for all of these.

does the /etc/passwd file have to be populated with passwords?  if so,
should they be standard unix des encrypted passwords? (ie. can i simply
copy a password from a unix host?)  does this depend on whether the
programs (eg. login) were compiled with a certain libcrypt?

are all the answers to these questions documented somewhere?  if so, sorry
for wasting bandwidth and please just point me at the proper place to look.

--
Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff@mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920

-