Little surprises inside of compiled files

I have a MINGW32 compiled verison of the Midnight Commander file browser,
and just accidentally was using it to view the contents of cygwin-compiled
files in my /usr/local/bin directory, and I have found pieces of source
code embedded in the middle of executables:

File: grotty.exe        Col 0             75776 bytes                       61%
.°.@.D¦@....................._º@.+¼@.........s...+¼@.........t...+¼@.........u..
.-¼@.........v...+¼@.........Y...¦¼@.........y...+¼@.........z...+¼@.........Z..
.................«@..«@.....º«@..«@.ú«@.....¦«@.¦«@._¼@.....+«@.-«@....._«@..«@
........._@......_@.......@.....+_@.......@.......@......¦@.......@.......@....
.-6@.....+6@.....h.@.....__@.....ñ_@.....p.@......¦@.....+_@.....D¦@.....¦_@....
.t¦@.....__@.....ñ¦@.....__@.....+¦@......_@.....P.@......¦@......_@.....4¦@....
.0_@.....+.@.....d¦@.....D_@......¦@.....X_@.....-¦@.....xE@.....-g@....._¦@....
.l4@....._6@.....ñ.@.....ñ.@.....+6@.....-6@.....+6@.....ñ.@......¦@.....l_@....
     ret = slrn_set_integer_variable (what, ivalue);
   else ret = -1;

   if (ret != 0) exit_unknown_object ();
   return 0;
}

/*}}}*/

/*}}}*/

/*{{{ Setting Color/Mono Attributes */
1Help   2UnWrap 3Quit   4Hex    5Line   6RxSrch 7Search 8Raw    9Unform 10Quit