Re: gzip converts stuff to 8.3 filenames

Hi Michael,

Michael Hirmke wrote:
> You don't have gzip from the Cygnus packages, do you ?
> Cygnus gzip does not mangle filenames.

No, but the Explorer shell does. Whenever the Explorer supplies file
name args to programs, like from the SendTo menu or in Drag-and-Drop
operations, it uses the short filenames. It does this, because there is
no easy way to check, if a program/batchfile/script supports long
filenames or not.

So if you write a SendTo handler for gzip or just put a gzip link into
the SendTo folder, gzip will get the short filename as its arg.

so long, benny