gcc & g77 trouble with library routines: "linked to missing export CYGWIN.DLL:strlwr"

I'm somewhat of a newbie, and wonder if I could ask for some help
getting started with gcc and g77.

I prepared the following test program to demonstrate:

#testc.c

#include "string.h"
extern char * strlwr(char *);
main () {
  char testchar[]="X";
  strlwr(testchar);
}

# I compile:
gcc testc.c -o testc.exe

# Compile apparently okay; I run it:
testc

# and get a Win 95 dialog with the message:

"The TESTC.EXE file is
linked to missing export CYGWIN.DLL:strlwr"

GDB can't even get a look at the source code, so the problem happens
before the program is even loaded.

I want the flexibility of being able to move between a unix-like (bash)
and windows 95 DOS interface. I want to have a public domain Fortran and
C compiler for some scientific projects. My current gnu-win32 setup
looks promising, but I haven't got it working quite right yet.

One solution would be to write replacement routines, where necessary. I
checked my libraries, and strlwr is mentioned in LIBG.A.

I looked for clues on this little problem I've having in the gnu-win32
faq and at the web sites, and I couldn't find anything. I'm hoping this
won't be a repeat question.

I've instatlled the cygwin B18 from Cygnus on my windows 95 system, and
I added G77 by un-gzipping and un-tarring g77-0.5.21.tar.gz. I use
SETENV.BAT to inform my system of the file structure, and include
appropriate lines in .bashrc for when I use the bash environment. I've
tried to install the whole gnu-win32 from the ground up from sources,
but so far I haven't been able to do so. (I have a bit to learn about
configuration and installation). In the meantime, I've seem to be
working towards a working setup using pre-compiled packages. My progress
to date is that I'm able to compile most simple programs using gcc and
g77.

Thanks ahead of time for your time!

Michael Wolz
DHHS/NIH/NHLBI/DECA