Re: CYGWIN32 tools distribution CD-ROM?

On 19 Mar 98 at 19:54, the Illustrious Michael Hirmke wrote:

> Hi raf,
>
> [...]
> >perhaps the cygwin32 web site could have an area (or a link to somewhere)
> >where anyone who is willing to host cygwin32 binaries for download
> >could add an entry informing others about it.
> >
> >would any porters out there use something like this?
>
> I intend to offer something like that soon here on our German
> Cygnus mirror.
>
>         ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/

	The biggest concern in offering that sort of thing, especially for public
uploading, is the risk of generating a new "warez" site.  These folks
don't seem to give a d*mn about disk space or just about anything else.
They are happy to waste disk space to distribute their illegally copied
software and don't seem to care who they impact.  A European Mirror site,
however, might be an excellent solution (hint...hint...nudge...nudge).

	The last ftp site that allowed what you are suggesting above, was
shut down by the "warez" folks.  The admin didn't want to close it, but he
couldn't leave his system vulnerable to "warez".  We lost a very good
North American FTP site because of this...it was quite sad.

	Peace,

		Paul G.