Re: Cygwin32 & C++ standard

On 31 Dec 97 at 18:55,  Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Depends on what you mean by cygwin32 C++. If you mean the original
> b18 distribution, it's horribly old, so all bets are off if you're
> looking at the latest draft that was approved as the standard. On
> the other hand, the egcs distribution is pretty close, and in fact,
> close enough to (almost) compete with some top quality commercial
> compilers such as Kai and others based on the EDG front end.
>
> Also note that G++ now uses unmodified SGI STL distribution, which
> means that as SGI updates its implementation to match the standard,
> G++ will follow automatically.

I'd like to thank all GNU and egcs developers -- particularly Mumit
Khan -- for the  nice job they're doing.  For a GNU price, one is
able to have an excellent compiler, better than hugely priced
commercial ones.

Amazing and laudable.

Now that the C++ drafts seem to have stabilized and such a nice
compiler is available we C++ programmers can begin to try to tame
the new C++ beast.

Thanks for the nice Christmas gift!

Regards,
++Hilton