Re: Why text=binary mounts

I would like to add my voice to the growing chorus.  Native mode text files
is the only choice that makes sense.  I get the impression that the gurus
hate to convert their text files before starting to do their magic.

At 09:45 PM 1/7/98 -0700, Jeffrey C. Fried wrote:

>Porting code from Unix to the PC should NOT require the same line
>termination mode since most Unix code which reads text uses fread/getc
>which automatically handle the end-of-line.
snip
> And from the replies of most
> people i would argue that most of us would prefer to work in the native
> mode of the operating system in which we are running rather than having to
> constantly convert files between the two models simply because we use tools
> from both operating systems under NT/95.

Tony Pires,  Engineering Systems Supervisor
Kvaerner Chemetics Inc. Ltd, Vancouver, B.C.
Email: t_pires@fox.nstn.ca or pires.tony@traf.com   Fax: 604-737-0340

-