Ordinal problem in DLLs?

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the compiler to write apps that use the 3Dfx card via glide2x.dll (Glide 2.43 I think).

I've tried the following to create a library to link my programs against;

using nm to get the exports from the dll, and then dlltool
using impdef to get both the calling stack size and the ordinal number, then dlltool

A typical .def file looks like

EXPORTS
grGlideInit@0 @1
etc etc

where the second @<number> is the ordinal number (which is the correct one) (only produced when I
use impdef, not nm)

dlltool is called using the -k argument.

gcc compiles the .exe fine, but Win95 says 'invalid file format' when I try to run it.

Finally, lcc's impdef creates a glide2x.lib that gcc links against successfully, but the resulting .exe has
the same problem. However, lcc produces a correct .exe with this library. I think therefore that gnu ld
is where the problem is.

I've looked in every FAQ and archive I can find but there are no explicit instructions on how to do this.
Suggestions I've had from the glide mailing list say that there is a problem with ordinals in some DLLs.
Do I need a later version of dlltool? (I'm using that supplied with gnu-win32 b18).

Thanks for any help
Michael

-