Re: Linking with -lkernel32 [was: Re: beta18: building gdb gives incomplete import table [and other problems]???]

On 31-Dec-1997, Joao Pedro Sousa <js@servisoft.pt> wrote:
> At 12:34 31-12-1997 +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> >One bug with the linker that has been mentioned on this list previously
> >is that if the same library name is mentioned twice on the link line,
> >then the linker generates executables that crash.  `-lkernel32' is
> >linked in by default, so if you mention it explicitly then it will
> >get linked in twice, causing the symptoms you observed.
> I can't successfully link DLLs (relocatable or non-relocatable) if I don't
> include:
>    -lc -lcygwin -lkernel32 -lc

Whether or not you need to specify `-lkernel32' etc. explicitly
depends on whether you are using `gcc' to do the link, or whether
you are invoking `ld' directly.  If you're using `gcc' to do the link,
it will pass `-lkernel32' etc., so you don't need to (and in fact must not)
specify it yourself.  If you're invoking `ld' directly, then yes you
do need to specify it explicitly.

> If I understand correctly, you use "-lgcc -lcygwin -lkernel32 -lgcc" among
> other obvious things.
> So, should we, or should we not repeat libs?

I think repeating ordinary libraries (e.g. `-lgcc') is OK;
I think it is only DLL import libraries (e.g. `-lcygwin' or `-lkernel32')
that cause problems if they are linked twice.
(However, this is basically just educated guesswork.)

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.