Re: Experimental slangwin.tar.gz at deninc.com

In article <199712140516.FAA106000@out4.ibm.net>,  <vischne@ibm.net> wrote:
>P. S.  Maybe this is already known, but compiling without
>the -g option still leaves executables that shrink when
>stipped.

This is the case with every version of cc or gcc that I've ever seen.
ld always puts symbols in the file unless you link with '-s'.  When you
specify -g it only means that more debugging information may be placed
in the final executable.  This extra information is usually things like
line number info and possibly symbol entries for static variables.

Without -g you'll probably only see global symbols in your executable.
Exactly what is left in the executable is visible by using the `nm' command.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."