Re: Shell script performance

If you're running stock b18, I'd guess stat(), not fork/exec (though
fork/exec is really slow, too).  Last I checked, stat() actual opens each
file and reads a few bytes to check for symbolic links.  IMHO, this is an
incredible waste of time, especially considering that W95/NT already has a
defined symbolic link standard (.lnk files).

I strongly suspect this has changed in b19 and probably Sergey's code, since
I recall that this whole topic was beaten to death and finally resolved
about 6 months ago.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@lionheart-com