RE: `Color ls' from a bash$ window

Hi.

I recommend that you use '--color=auto' instead of '--color'
in your aliases so that ls will produce color output only when
printing to a tty.  I once had aliases like those below and
ran into difficulties because ls was putting tty color escape
codes into redirected output.  See 'ls --help' for more info.

Also, your 'no extra cost' may vary--I find that ls runs
noticeably slower with color enabled than it does without
color.  (I am running the stock b18 gnuwin32 tools--which I
think means I have a build with 'debug' overhead built in--
on a P133 with 64 MB RAM.)  I do like the color output;
I just hope the performance improves one of these versions.

--John