Re: Follow up to New Question:

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Kermit Tensmeyer wrote:

> > Right, because it's not supported.  It's probably not supposed to be in
> > there.
>
>    In this particular sense, what does "it's not supported" mean?

It was probably not exported correctly, or just junk in the first place.

>   rexec is a supplied executible in the NT OS. (rexecD is not
> supported  except in the MS NT Supplement Disk.)
>
>   Rexec, RSH are RFC based protocols that communicate with a server
>  The include files include a define for the Protocol.
>
>   I expect that the function is supported but not the server.
>

> > >  so how is gnuwin32 differenet from the orthodox Gnu C compiler?
> >
> > It doesn't have a libc in the usual sense.
>
>    You mean it does not? have any default library, that gets auto
> loaded into the compile? It does not have a standard library to
> handle unix standard function calls?

My understanding is that most (if not all) windows programs are linked
against a C runtime dll (usually crtdll.dll).   GNU-Win32 uses its own
dll to provide a Unix like enviroment (cygwin.dll) which provides
wrappers and missing functions.  So, you _could_ call it a libc, I don't.
By b19, it might not be linked to cygwin.dll by default, that's still up
in the air I _think_.

>   If it does not support the basic GNU requirments why not? How or
> why was it broken?

>  Rexec is a function
>
>    SOCKET *rexec(char **host, int port, char *UserID, char *PassWD,
>                                char *cmd, FileIOSTream *ErrOutFile);
>
>   which use port 512 to communicate to remote site host.

Ok, then it is probably in the NT version of wsock32.dll.

>   I _think_ that recv might be a
> > function in wsock32.dll (try running nm or strings on it and/or
> > winsock.dll).  I _think_ the functions that need wrappers and that aren't
> > in the Win32 api are included in the "libc" a.k.a. libcygwin.a/cygwin.dll.
> > I _think_ all the functions that are copied straight over from Win32 dlls
> > have their own .a libs.
> >

>   in either event the calls are not being found in the load.
>
>  so why doesn't the functions 'rexec' or 'recv' find the functions
>  in either the explict load or the default libcygwin.a.

I don't know.  I haven't looked at the source in a while.  However if the
functions are indeed in wsock32.dll, you can create an export list and
then a .a style library to use rexec from (that's how libwsock32.a and
libcygwin.a were created). Instructions are on a
link on cygnus's web page.  I can find them if you would like them.

>   Is there an option in this version of the compiler to show the
>  assembly version of the code? [ Unix, VMS versions of GCC
>  use -s]

The should be.

>   What I want to know is how to map names from the C version of
>  the file to the library version of the file.

I have no idea.

- alex

-