the bash builtin command `if test -n ""' (fwd)

I have been trying to build and install groff-1.11.  I have found a
problem with the builtin command "if" with the following syntax:

     if test -n "$(tmac-wrap)"; then \
         for m in $(tmac-wrap); do \
         done; \
     fi

bash aborts with "syntax error near unexpected token `;'"
... `if test -n ""; then for m in ; do ...; done; fi

bash shouldn't test the syntax of the "for" command since what is
being done is a test to see if the "for" command will execute properly.

In the mean time: Any ideas on how to easily modify the Makefile.sub
for  the "tmac" subsystem to allow "make" to complete?