Re: Make shell function doesn't strip \r

Steve Schoettler wrote:

> When you issue the function $(shell foo), the \n is stripped off the end of
> the command but not the \r that preceeds the \n. I seem to have this
> problem both with the cygnus make b18 and the standard gnu distribution
> 3.75 built for NT. I'm using MKS sh.exe for the SHELL but it appears to
> fail with cygnus bash too.
>
> This problem can be fixed by changing function.c (from make-3.75 near line
> 547):
>
> from
>
>    if (buffer[i - 1] == '\n')
>      buffer[--i] = '\0';
>    else

>    if (buffer[i - 1] == '\n') {
>      buffer[--i] = '\0';
>      if (buffer[i-1]=='\r')
>        buffer[--i] = '\0';
>    } else
>
> This fixes the problem I'm seeing, but I wonder about all the processing
> inside job.c where there are checks for backslash-escaped newlines but no
> checks for \r.
>
> Steve Schoettler
> shs@bmobile.com

I'm working on a port of GNU make 3.75 using the Minimalist GNUWIN32
headers **and** compiler and I have no problems what so ever with
CR-LF vs CR only. It seems to be a problem with the way the makefile
is opened.

It might just be something as simple as including the fopen-... headers
from libiberty to solve this problem. Other files (and headers) would
also be of interest in the special case of make-3.75 (I'm thinking of
pexecute.[ch] and their associated files).

Who is 'in charge' of GNU make-3.75 ? I'd like to share some thoughts
with him.

Just some thoughts.

     |  ####   Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez                  |
     |  ####   ATM Networks Division                          |
     |  ####   Telefonica I+D          C./ Emilio Vargas, 6   |
     |  ====                           E-28043 Madrid, Spain  |
     |  ====   mailto:paag@tid.es      Tlf +34-1-337 47 02    |
     |  ====                           FAX +34-1-337 45 02    |