Assembler

I am interested in learning assembly language.  I know this is almost a
completely dead language, but I find it intringing.  I have two
questions:  First is their any assembler included in the b18 release, or
any unix gnu assembler that could be ported(please include a link if it
has already been done or any other programs that might serve the same
purpose) and Secondly, any literature that you could point me to as a
good starting point.  I know that this request is a little bit of a
deviation from our normal topic, but I beg you to show me a little
patience and help me.  Thanks to you all...

-