Keyboard I/O question

I am able to run the following code segment to detect when a key is
pressed.  This function seems to return a 0 if a key is not pressed with
the time period, and a 1 if a key is pressed.

What I cant seem to get working is to how to figure out which key was pressed.

Calling getc when a 1 is returned by the code segment below does not return
the key that was press.  It waits for another key which is not what I want
to do.

I am looking for a way to read a key, but only if a key has been pressed.
If no key has been pressed I do not want to wait for one.

Can anyone offer any tips?

Thank you in advance.

#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/time.h>

int kbhit()
{
	FD_SET rfds;
	struct timeval tv;

	FD_ZERO(&rfds);
	FD_SET(0, &rfds);
	tv.tv_sec = 0;
	tv.tv_usec = 0;
	select(1, &rfds, 0, 0, &tv);
	return(FD_ISSET(0, &rfds);
}

*                     Visit Our Web Page at:                           *
*               http://www.tiac.net/users/dynasens                     *
* Mark Levine                   | EMAIL: dynasens@tiac.net             *
* DynaSense Consulting Services |                                      *
* Framingham, MA 01701          |                                      *