Re: Why can't I access my SCSI DAT drive with tar under NT?

At 20:09 17-07-97 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>[...]
>> \\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text=binary
>[...]
>> no-mixed,text!=binary $ tar -tvf /dev/st0
>> tar: Cannot open /dev/st0: No such file or directory
>> $
>
>Same problem here - external SCSI DAT HP C1536A attached to a AHA2940
>BIOS 1.23.

I already posted this message on the mailing list, however let me repeat my
solution for Win95:

I don't know a solution within the Cygnus routines. However I have a
a 32-bit tar version that works with SCSI tapes.
At least it works under Win95. You can run it in a DOS-box or on a
(cygnus) bash-prompt as you like.
You have to set the SCSI-ID of the tape as a DOS Variable in Win95. There
should be a similar mechanism under WinNT.

I frequently exchange data with a Sun running Solaris via the DAT-drive,
there is no problem. Just very seldom on very large backups (>1.5GB) the
"taring" sometimes becomes unstable. But I suppose this is rather a hardware
(or SCSI-driver) problem on my particular machine.

I know of two versions of this "Gnu Tar with ASPI patch" as it is commonly
called. One I found at a strange Japanese ftp-space, which I never could
access again after that. The other lies around somewhere at Uni Koeln.

As they were so hard to find, I made them available at my own
public ftp-space at
   ftp://ftp.kr.tuwien.ac.at/pub/matzinger/win95tar
I hope I do not violate any copyright restrictions. There's a README in this
directory, which you should read.

However if there is a better solution (e.g. within the CyGnus routines)
I would be very interested to learn about that.

Hope this is of help. Happy taring.

    Triholareidulioe
        Robert Matzinger

                                                      \|/
| D.I. Robert Matzinger              |                U                  |
| Technische Universitaet Wien       | phone : +43 1 58801/81 96         |
| Inst. f. Informationssysteme       | fax :   +43 1 581 79 66           |
| Abt. f. Wissensbasierte System     | mailto:matzi@kr.tuwien.ac.at      |
| Treitlstr. 3, A-1040 Vienna,AUSTRIA| http://www.kr.tuwien.ac.at/~matzi |