Re: what can link.exe do that cygwin32-ld can't ?

   From: Sergey Okhapkin <sos@prospect.com.ru>
   Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:17:23 +0400

   Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
   >    and if so, does this fix makeing .reloc dll's & exe's
   >    with B18?
   >
   > Doesn't that have more to do with running ld and dlltool multiple
   > times?

   Three-pass linking is very slow :-( For example, while building cygwin.dll
   with full debug info, every ld pass tooks more than 1 minute on my P133/32M
   NT4.0. The ld.exe process takes about 10M memory while running! It's
   difficult to debug the stuff with long build times...

Yes.  I believe the correct fix is to incorporate the dlltool
functionality into the linker.  At least when building a DLL, the
operation is really no different than building an ELF or SunOS shared
library, which the linker can already do (in fact, DLL's are simpler
than ELF shared libraries).

The way to tackle this project is to examine the ELF linker, as used
on, e.g., Linux, understand how it works, and copy the general
approach for use when building a DLL.

Ian
-