getting started[newbie]

Well, I'm yet another of those people who think it would be just great to
write programs for windows, but doesn't want to spend money on a commercial
compiler. My big problem is that I hardly know a thing about
windows-specific programming, and all the resources available are about
VC++, or something like that. I've downloaded some source to look at, but I
can't even get it to compile, since the makefiles are usually different,
and sometimes there are problems with headers etc too. Is there a place
with (preferably) tutorials, or source code? Or even a utility to convert
between different makefiles. Doing it by hand just isn't worth the trouble
with some things...

If I ever get started properly with this, I'm planning make a web page with
answers to my stupid questions, since I'm sure every similar project is
constantly plagued by people like me lured by the FREE label.
Jon-o Addleman
-