Filename completion slowness

Has anyboyd else experience the problem were filename completion at the
root directory is VERY slow while filename compeltion everywhere else is
fast?

If I do cd /WI<TAB> it takes a long time for it to complete WINDOWS.  After
that the completions within WINDOWS works very quickly.  Any suggestions to
speed it up?  My root directory does not have that many things in it,
mostly directories.

Thanks,

Aris.
-