Re: Picking up include directories automatically

In message <199705210042.RAA21924@nz1.netzone.com>, you write:
> How about putting export /c/dir because you mounted c:\\ to /c
> which was my point in the first place YOU DON'T NEED //

Exactly.  Or you could just use "export /dir", if you've mounted c:
under /, which is the default, after all.  But the mount command
doesn't mind that you mount c: twice, once under / and again under
/c.  I've done this for consistency.  Also, whenever I want to refer to
a networked drive, I mount it somewhere first.  Usually I just mount the
drive letter I've mapped it to:

	mount g: /g

In any case, I agree 100% with you that "//" is dangerous because any
UNIX program that notices it will think it's equivalent to "/" and may
feel free to delete one of the slashes.

For similar reasons "c:/..." paths are dangerous.  Unix programs will
assume that this is a relative pathname, not an absolute one, and may
even create files in the wrong place.

The other reason I never use "//" or "c:/" paths is that bash can't
do file-name completion on such names.  This is a fixable bug, I
guess, but why bother.

Michael Condict			m.condict@opengroup.org
The Open Group Research Inst.	(617) 621-7349
11 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
-