Re: Here-Scripts in bash (fwd)

> Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
> > > The first sin of programming is doing design based upon imaginary
> > > costs.  A getenv call only costs a couple of microseconds.
> > > <J Q B>
> > You're living in the days of Apple's 6502.

Sorry, sent that out in a rush and didn't include some
further explanation.  I was referring more to the checking
of existence of c:/tmp.  This inevitably leads to checking
of a failed open(), stat(), etc system calls that invoke
disk operations.  I dunno how the getenv() argument was brought
in but maybe we're just talking about different things.
Those checkings probably do take a coupla of microseconds
on average.  In contemporary PCs, assuming an average of 2 cycles per
instruction, a 166MHz pentium can execute about 250 instructions
in 3 microseconds.  In an application that does creation/destruction
of temp files all the time or for every transaction, it is
just not something that one would say is elegant to be inserted
into the loops.

Chin Chee-Kai (Last, First)
Internet Email-ID:	cheekai@gen.co.jp

-