Re: elvis & vim, was Re: Does anyone have a man command??

At 08:56 AM 3/31/97 +0000, Kevin Dahlhausen wrote:

>> The 'vi' like editor 'elvis' can read man, and i found 'elvis-2.0' for
>> win32. Unfortunately
>> it isn't buil on cygnus-win32 distrib, so it can't handle unixlike
>> pathnames !!!
>> I tryed to port it with the tiny termcap embeded, and with gnu libtermcap.
>> It compile quite
>> easily in both case, and it runs, but input seems to be 'frozen' (in fact
>> keystrokes seems
>> to be bufferised). Anybody has an idea ??
>
>I tried to build a native GNU-WIN32 version of the VI clone VIM.
>It compiled but exhibited the same behavior -that is the program
>started, displayed 'Empty Buffer' and completely locked up.  I
>haven't gotten any further on this yet.   Since both ports show the
>same problem, maybe this points to a problem in the termcap
>code?

As a point of interest, I am a xvile (another vi clone that has an
X windows interface) user when on a unix box.  And, after I pulled
down the X libraries, referenced on this list recently, I pulled the
latest (x)vile sources down to my NT box and started compiling.  I
made two adjustments (at the configure stage and one line change in
one file) and it popped out with a clean compile.  I started it up,
verified that it worked and am using it now.  My hats off to the
cygnus-win32 group.

Gregg Jensen
(oh, I am currently using eXodus X server, not the free one mentioned
here before.)

-