gunzip question

Read the FAQ, read the online mailing list archive,
still no answer, so am sending my question here.

I've got b17, which includes:

   GUNZIP.EXE 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93)
   Compilation options:
   DIRENT UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H ASMV

gunzip's default behavior is to *compress* and not
decompress.  May I ask why?  And how do I change this
so that I do not have to type:

   gunzip -d <file>

every time I want to uncompress something.

e.g. This is what I encounter:

   C:\cygnus\H-i386-cygwin32\bin>gunzip resume.txt.gz
   GUNZIP.EXE: resume.txt.gz already has .gz suffix -- unchanged

Thanks for your help,

TJ

--
Trey Jackson
trEy@cs.bErkElEy.Edu

Q: Should I learn the parallel or telemark turn?
A: Shut up and ski!
-