RE: Can't Reference Stderr from a DLL

John Cerney wrote:
> >  nothing about it! The only way I see is to place reent_data structure
> >  cygwin.dll and modify fork() code to create a copy of it in a child
> >  process...
>
> main.c calls impure_setup() in the dll with main's impure_ptr as its
argument
>        impure_setup() in init.cc takes the impure_ptr from main and
copies the
>        value to its (the dll's) local copy of impure_ptr.

It's not a suitable way for me :-( It requires explicit call to
impure_setup() for _each_ project's dll! This will prevent easy porting (X
stuff for example). If reent_data will be exported from within cygwin.dll,
then it will be possible to write

#include <windows.h>
extern struct reent *_impure_ptr, *__imp_reent_data;
int WINAPI dll_main(HANDLE a, DWORD reason, void *q)
{ switch (reason){
   case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH: break;
   case DLL_PROCESS_DETACH: break;
   case DLL_THREAD_ATTACH:  break;
   case DLL_THREAD_DETACH:  break;
  }
  _impure_ptr = __imp_reent_data;
  return 1;
}

and link this file to every DLL. Function dll_main (declared as entry point
on ld's command line) will be called automatically after loading dll, and
will set up dll's _impure_ptr right without explicit call to it! Number of
dll's may vary - initialisation for each dll will be done automatically.

> I guess this means that I will have to create a include file that does
> something like this for every global variable I want to access:
> #define variableName  (*_imp_variableName)

This technique is used in a port of X libraries with MSVC :-)

> I wish there was a more transparent way of doing this. I believe VC++
allows
> you to access global variables to/from DLLs without going to this
trouble. I am
> trying to build the VC++ win32 port of perl 5.003 now to verify if this
is
> true.

VC++ requires explicit dllimport/dllexport declarations. Almost the same
way...

--
Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia