Re: File operations speed-up

Isn't this useless for those who use backup software that
uses the archive bit to indicate whether a file has been
archived?

ChrisS

	Sergey Okhapkin <sos @ prospect.com.ru>
	03/17/97 08:03 PM
To: 'Gnu-Win32' <gnu-win32 @ cygnus.com> @ SMTP
cc:
Subject: File operations speed-up

Hi!

This patch increases the speed of stat/lstat calls dramatically. The trick
is simple. Cygwin's stat call implementation reads the beginning of stated
file to look for a "magic cookie" to define "executable" and "symlink"
attributes of a file. With this patch reading is performed only if file
have "archive" bit cleared. All ordinary files (not executables/symlinks)
have this bit set. After applying this patch You have to "chmod +x file" on
all executables/symlinks. I made a "chmod +x *" on directories with
binaries. Later I'll write a special utility "fssync" to examine all files
in a given directory tree and to set archive bit according to file magic
cookie. Compare the time of "du ." on cygwin's root without and with this
patch :-)

--
Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia

--uuencoded file (archive.diff) attached...

-

archive.diff