new user to cygwin32...

Hello all.  I just recently downloaded & installed the full distribution of
cygwin32 (all 40 megs of it!) with the intent of learning something about
windows programming.  From what I have seen, this library is largly intened
for porting unix/gnu software to a windows environment, but how suitable is
it for straight windows programming?  I bought the book Programming Windows
95 (by Charles Petzold) and the examples are designed to work with MS Visual
C++.  Are there any particular things I should watch out for in compiling
the VC++ programs under gcc?  (other than re-writing all the makefiles...)

Also, it seems that the standard set of cygwin32 header files are missing
the SND_* macros...

thanx,
***** All around computer whiz kid and nice guy. *****
************** amstpi@freenet.tlh.fl.us **************