Re: XFree ported to Windows NT?

At 11:27 PM 2/26/97 +0200, Henrik Geleff wrote:
>Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
>>
>> STEVE LUMOS wrote:
>> > In case anybody cares, there is an EMX port of XFree86 (see
>> > http://www.xfree86.org/).  This would probably be a better place to
>> > start than the Unix stuff.
>> >
>> > Is it even possible to address the video directly in NT though?
>>
>> On NT 4.0 and Windows 95 using DirectDraw API.
>
>Excuse me for asking, but I went to http://www.xfree86.org/ and searched
>but there does not seem to be a win32 implementation, the closest seems
>to be OS/2, but I thought they are quite different from the win32 way of
>living.
>
>Could someone please clarify.

There is no win32 port yet, no. And there won't be for some months either,
if there will ever be one :) We're looking into it though.
The EMX port mentioned above is indeed the OS/2 version, EMX being a kind
of gnuwin32 for OS/2.
The fact that OS/2 and Win32 are very different has nothing to do with
X, since the whole idea is to use a port of the Unix environment and change
as little as possible. The main problem is of course the X server which
does depend on the native OS. Compiling the libs shouldn't be that hard,
there have been reports on this list.

Dirk

-