Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97

> My question is as follows: if GCC is covered by the GPL,

STOP RIGHT THERE!!!

GCC isn't what Cygnus has a copyright on, nor is it what they propose
to charge people for.  They have a copyright on cygwin.dll.  They
developed cygwin.dll, and the libraries that go into it - they are
using their newlib library instead of GNU libc, for example.

If you don't like the fact that they're doing this, that's fine, but
you have no recourse other than to stop using their product and
develop your own.  Unlike some major corporations, they will not be
offended if you do that, nor will they try to stop you.

I could probably think of something bad to say about Cygnus if I
really worked at it, but all in all, they're a good bunch of people,
and flaming them on this mailing list isn't going to accomplish
anything.   Please stop it.

			       _MelloN_
-