Re: du does not find all directories

Kenneth Evans, Jr. wrote:

> I just downloaded the latest version of gnu-win32 via all.tar.gz.
> I find that du finds 335637 (presumably  times 512) Bytes on my hard

No, it defaults to kilobytes.

> drive.  There are, in fact, close to 2 GBytes (why I am using it).  It
> misses a number of directories including c:\windows.  I am running
> Win95.  I don't know how to find out the version of gnu-win32, but I
> downloaded it today.
>     It is pretty reproducible (for me).  It gets exactly the same number
> each time, even though I have been deleting files (apparently in
> directories it is missing).

du uses inode numbers to detect links, so it will only count a file
once.  The cygwin implementation of inode numbers is bogus.
You might want to build a version of du.c with the inode hashing
commented out.  Also, the implementation of ST_NBLOCKS is wrong.  You
can better results from du by using the -b flag for bytes or the -h flag
for "human readable".

--
<J Q B>
-