Re: On why bottom posting....

Warren Young wrote:
On 5/8/2014 18:47, Linda Walsh wrote:

They don't realize

Hasty generalization fallacy.  You don't know what they realize.
---
It was a cygwin-talk level generalization... ;-)

like most good sources, will put the historical context information
at the end in an appendix.

This is either the no true Scotsman fallacy, or denying the antecedent. "My AP History teacher made us cite sources like this, therefore people who don't do it that way are wrong."
---
Exactly!... I stand validated!

Most email is conversation, not essay or article writing. The only reason we need quotes at all is that the pieces of the conversation are spaced apart in time and space, so we need context to keep the pieces strung together.
----
	I'm answering in conversational style -- Different writers
talking back and forth betwixt each other's writing -- and that's different
than ....

they are more likely to lose the reader who is
only scanning the first half the page.

bottom-posting is supposed to go with aggressive quote trimming, so only the pithiest ... [parts are needed]
----
	Well I noted how you trimmed what I said there on purpose and
didn't include the full quote... or... 'what? no recap? how can I
catch up and jump in in the middle?  ;-)

I *have* noticed a lot of emails to the Cygwin lists with the entire prior conversation seemingly quoted, and one or two sentences appended. If you want to rail against that, I'm right there with you.
----

with 1 line at the bottom?  If they trimmed, I probably wouldn't mind
bottom-quoters... but I have the exact problem they complain about --
I have to scroll through pages of quoted text to find new stuff -- some times
only to find that they did inject a sentence or two in the middle just to
see if I was paying attention while scrolling...

Urk...