Re: managed mounts. hindsight sadness at their departure

Hi,

On 5/03/2010 4:33 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
Request case sensitivity from windows, and you have that feature back.

How embarrassing. I recalled fleetingly seeing something on case
sensitivity in the 1.7 user manual, and checked back. But only the
CYGWIN variable section. Seeing that it was restricted to globbing
behaviour, I missed http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive

Not that I'd assert that this is reason enough to have kept the managed
mounts, it is just an unfortunate limitation that 1.7 now has over 1.5.

No, it is not a limitation, provided you follow the instructions.

$ touch a A
$ ls ?
A  a

Many thanks for pointing it out. I was completely unaware that Windows was capable of case sensitive file naming. I must admit that my entrenched views of Windows capabilities in this area make me a little bit apprehensive of possible side-effects to turning this on. In your experience, are there any?

Of course, I will still try it anyway.

Regards,
Shaddy