Cygwin but not really question

This is a "do I even need to go further" question, but since it's related to a Cygwin source file but not on Cygwin, I thought I'd ask here rather than the main list (which doesn't deal with non-Cygwin questions), on the off chance someone might have pity on me and answer, all the while avoiding the hippos.

I'm a longtime cygwin user, and recently switched to a Mac (still using Cygwin in the Win/VM; does that count?). I would like use the conv.c program (u2d/d2u/etc.) on the OS X side. So, I dl'd the cygutils source, untarred it on the OS X side, and did a configure and make. The 'make' vomited all over the place (first four errors src/conv/conv.c:74: error: syntax error before âoptConâ, replacing the 74 with 74-77).

I'm not much of a C programmer, but I tried to look around and see if I saw anything obvious, i.e. line endings, etc., but I didn't see anything. I looked on the line in question (static void usage(pOptContext optCon...), but there's nothing obviously wrong syntactically there. I went back and looked at the config.log, and saw that although getopt.h is present, popt.h isn't. But, it was just a configure test, so I guessed that should be OK, although, given the error above, maybe not.

I have XCode installed, so I have gcc (4.0.1) and all of the other unix-y tools.

So, before I spend any more time on this, is there a reason this WON'T install? I.e., does it depend on anything in the cygwin DLL or anything else that doesn't exist in a normal Unix-y environment? If so, then I'll give up and go find other tools to do the same thing (I just really like having everything in one program).

If not, I'll try to read up enough to see if I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks, and loose the hippos!