Re: csih-0.1.6 available for testing [Was: Re: CSIH patch (Re: Unable to run sshd ...)]

On Aug 18 09:32, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 03:22:54PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Aug 18 09:15, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> I've been using virtualbox recently.  It's totally free (although there
> >> is a commercial component*) and pretty snappy, at least on linux.
> >>
> >> http://virtualbox.org/
> >
> >Are you using a HPET enabled Linux kernel(*)?  Did you ever encounter
> >spurious hangs of the VM (sometimes up to 5 minutes) with virtualbox?
>
> So far, I've only used virtualbox with Windows XP (and soon FreeBSD) so
> I don't know about Linux.  In windows there are ACPI problems that
> require you to do some creative things if you are using an old vmware
> image.  I don't know if there are similar issues for linux though.
>
> After spending hours "converting" my vmware images to virtualbox format
> I found that newer versions of virtualbox run vmware images directly
> with no modification.  The only inconvenience is that snapshots don't
> work but that is apparently going to be fixed soon.  That's good because
> I miss being able to do snapshots.
>
> So, sorry, I don't know.  It might be worth a try, though.  It's
> possible that a linux image will "just work".  There seems to be less
> head-standing required in building modules for virtualbox than there is
> for vmware.

That would be nice.  The HPET problem is driving me crazy.  Those hangs
occur only in pre-Vista VMs for some reason but when they occur, which
is quite frequently, the VM hangs for 5 minutes.  The VMware guy who
offers the updates for newer kernels claims that this is a Linux bug
when using HPET timers for IRQ handling or something, so I guess I'll
have to build a new kernel with HPET disabled for testing.

Corinna

Red Hat