Re: CIFS symlinks on network share break Cygwin

Robert Pendell wrote:
| Seems
| like if Microsoft wants to solve their problems, they should re-engineer
| the entire OS on top of a *nix kernel and be done with it.

The last thing Windows needs is still more APIs. They need to kill off about 80% of the legacy APIs and work on debugging and hardening the rest. The attack surface of Windows is *vast*.

Just a few years ago, I helped someone get a DOS program from 1985 running on someone's Windows XP box. It worked fine! The biggest difficulty was in finding the floppy drives to load it. Some consider this a feature, until they're schooled in what this means for security.

That's the lesson they need to take from OS X. Break old programs early, break them often. :)