multiple cygwin installs

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Mar 29 17:32:00 GMT 2007

Phil Betts wrote:

> What would happen if say, make needed a VM, and cc needed its own VM?

Okay, I'll play along.

I don't think that will ever happen.  But, one can imagine all programs
becoming individually sandboxed, to minimize unintended interactions.

Hardware-supported sandboxing is related to VM technology, but I make a
distinction based on whether there's a separate copy of the OS or not.

> How would a recursive build work?  Would we have VVVVVVVVMs?

No, you'd just end up with a cc that can't ... oh, say, make an HTTP
connection to your router to turn on remote administration with no
password because someone figured out a buffer overrun exploit using
specially formatted C code.  :)  This would be a good thing.

Pervasive virtualization is coming, soon.  Better get used to the idea.

> How long before 1024bit Vista is available?

The heat death of the universe is a near-term event by comparison.

> Why is my head hurting?

Because you have not yet learned the First Rule of tech support: if you
keep banging your head against the wall long enough, it starts feeling
better again.  This is what we tell ourselves, at any rate.