Re: is there any support for stuffit ? [turn into \"jpg compression in Stuffit\" ? ]

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> > From: morgan gangwere <0.fractalus@XXXXX.XXX>
> > To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk@XXXXXX.XXX>

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Mindless chatter can feed
the spammers too...

> > Subject: Re: is there any support for stuffit ? [turn into \"jpg compression in Stuffit\" ? ]
> > Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:52:29 -0600

> > Dave Korn wrote:

> > >   ROFL!  I just went to the stuffit expander web page, and one of the
> > > aaaaamazing new features they're hyping is
> > >
> > > " Losslessly compress JPEG files with no loss in quality"
> > >
> > >   Well, yeh, I understand it's /technically/ true, but they should
> > > really say
> > >
> > > " Losslessly compress JPEG files with no *more* loss in quality than
> > > the massive loss in quality that you got by converting them to JPEGs
> > > in the first place ... "
> >
> > well DUuUuUUh. if you put JPG files in ANY compressed format they are
> > _by_definition_ no more lossy than before.
>
> I'm trying to install cygwin from a divx compressed file and it isn't
> working.
> The cygwin files were too big so I saved a lot of space by putting them
> in divx format.
> Divx hasn't gotten back to me and I assume it is their problem since
> cygwin works ok in the normal format.
> Do you have a utility for that? It worked good on video files.

Hmm, I wonder what a Fourier transform for Cygwin packages would look
like?  Perhaps "binary files get the lower frequencies, and READMEs, info
pages, etc, get the higher ones"?  Then one could apply JPEG/MPEG
compression as-is to really save space in the installation...  Plus, with
all of the binary diff tools out there, even inter-frame compression is
possible.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin