Re: multiple cygwin installs

Phil Betts wrote:

What would happen if say, make needed a VM, and cc needed its own VM?

Okay, I'll play along.

I don't think that will ever happen. But, one can imagine all programs becoming individually sandboxed, to minimize unintended interactions.

Hardware-supported sandboxing is related to VM technology, but I make a distinction based on whether there's a separate copy of the OS or not.

How would a recursive build work? Would we have VVVVVVVVMs?

No, you'd just end up with a cc that can't ... oh, say, make an HTTP connection to your router to turn on remote administration with no password because someone figured out a buffer overrun exploit using specially formatted C code. :) This would be a good thing.

Pervasive virtualization is coming, soon. Better get used to the idea.

How long before 1024bit Vista is available?

The heat death of the universe is a near-term event by comparison.

Why is my head hurting?

Because you have not yet learned the First Rule of tech support: if you keep banging your head against the wall long enough, it starts feeling better again. This is what we tell ourselves, at any rate.