Re: Eliminating -mno-cygwin from gcc.

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
If you have been reading this list for any length of time then it should
be obvious that merely mentioning something in cygwin-announce is not an
adequate way to let people know about serious changes.

Trust me I know; my question is why this is being handled differently than other major changes (e.g. bash), or if you're looking for a new way in general of notification, particularly as carrying out the change will confuse much fewer people than leaving the status-quo.

The discussion has been to augment 'setup.exe' in a way as to provide users with feedback about "important" package changes in general. It has come up in the context of the gcc change but would have to apply generally. "Important" would be defined by the maintainer by some mechanism. Presumably, every release of package 'foo' does not trigger the "important" flag. ;-)

Maybe we should add a EULA to setup? Something like...

====
By installing this software, I agree to the following:

- I have read the release notes for any packages I am newly installing or upgrading, and will not post messages to the mailing list that address issues covered in the aforementioned release notes.

- If I use Cygwin for any purpose for which it was not intended, I will try very hard to resolve my own problems, or to find an appropriate place to ask question. If I find it necessary to ask the Cygwin list, I will apologize for asking an off-topic question and accept that I may not get any help.

- I recognize that this is Open Source Software, and that I probably did not pay for it (and if I did, the developers didn't see any of that money). Therefore I promise to be polite when reporting bugs, and understanding of the limits on developers' time. I acknowledge that the best way to get something fixed is to do it myself.
====

...and I'm sure we could probably think of a few more points. :-)

--
Matthew
This message is non-smoking