FW: activestate perl on cygwin

On 11 January 2007 04:44, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> --
>
> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
> I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather... Not
> screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

  I feel that the humour potential of this joke is diminished by the use of a
car.  You don't get very many passengers in a car.  Much better if he's a bus-
or plane- driver.  Or even a zeppelin.  And the meter of that final clause is
all wrong; the punchline is "passengers", and anything after that just gives
time for the impact to diminish before you've even finished telling it.  Much
punchier if you say

 I hope I die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather.... Not
kicking and screaming like his passengers.

  [ Yes, I am aware you are not personally responsible for the wording of
entries in your quotes file! ]

    cheers,
      DaveK