Re: (Re: Look before posting) (Re: Think before replying)

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 02:20:23PM +0530, antony baxter wrote:
> ---8<--   snip  -->8----
>
> > INDIA
> > (the great country who kicked out the Britishers
> > out of thier land and the rest had the guts to do it
> > only after we did it)
>
> So, I'll admit that history is not my strong point, but I'm struggling
> to think of anyone who kicked us (we?) "Britishers" out *after* the
> Indians did. How many countries have become independent of British
> rule since 1947?
>
> Antony

Canada is one.  In a sortofkindof way.  We're too sociable to bother
with revolutions, but independent enough to insist on our own flag.
IIRC, the Queen is still head of state, but constitutional control now
resides with the national government.

The defining symbol of independence was the replacing of the Queen's
likeness on national currency with that of various mammals and
waterfowl.  Hardly impressive, and possibly laughable, but notable given
what's occurred in many countries that have shrugged off the Evils Of
Colonial Rule.  My guess is that the citizens of Canada and India still
pass the day happily drinking English tea.

Off the top of my head the only other countries I can think of are
Singapore and Malaysia, Burma, Cyprus, Jamaica, The Countries Formerly
Known as Rhodesia, and Nigeria.  Kenya, I think gained independence
after 1947.  Britain also gave up rule of Palestine around that time
after the locals started blowing up their buildings.

Maybe someone can check the CIA Fact Book and draw some inferences as to
how the unravelling of Pax Britannica affected the local hippo
populations of these countries.

--
George