Re: Updated: cygwin-1.5.20-1

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:22:27AM -0400, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I've made a new version of the Cygwin DLL and associated utilities
>> available for download.  As usual, a list of what has changed is
>> below.
>
>[snip]
>
>It's been over 6 hours since the last update.  When do you expect to
>have the next?

Good point.  It seems to me that if cygwin wants to survive and be
popular, we really need to use a continuous update model, just like
Linux and Solaris.

I'm not actually familiar with either of those two things but I do like
to make analogies whereever possible.  I'm fairly certain that both of
those OS's probably do releases on an hourly basis.  This is of great
benefit to the users because they have a *CHOICE* and, if a problem is
fixed, a user can benefit immediately.  With Cygwin, we sometimes have
to wait YEARS for an update which fixes a problem.  I don't see how that
benefits anyone.  Wouldn't you think that the developers would want
their fixes actually used and tested?

And, yes, I know about snapshots.  I don't use them because they're
unstable and require manual steps to install.  I did try a snapshot last
year, and had to spend the rest of the day recovering from it!

Btw, I used to use a system which released on a 15-minute basis but I
don't expect anyone to go to those lengths.  This is OSS after all! I
know that it is all volunteer!
--
Ed C. Lueless                    Computer Geru/Master Programmer
"There's no such thing as evil.  Just excuses that heaven won't accept." -- Peter David