RE: No postnews or other Usenet news utilities?

--On Wednesday, May 24, 2006 21:54:12 -0400 Bruce Wehr wrote:

No, I am not a spammer.

--On Wednesday, May 24, 2006 13:38:22 -0400 Bruce Wehr wrote:

Anyway, Xnews has an arbitrary limit on cross posting to 20 groups at a
time.  Yesterday, I spent quite a bit of time going through all the
*.forsale groups, selecting 20 at a time, excluding item specific ones
(like computers or homes) and sending my ad.  It took quite a bit of time
and was insanely repetitive.  Imagine my surprise when I used Google
Groups today to search Usenet, only to find that my articles never made
it out!  <ARRGH!>

Whatever definitions you or I may have for 'spam' and 'spammer' are irrelevant. What matters is the definition used by those who cancel spam. Dave Korn mentioned "the BI>20 definition of spam" presumably assuming that everyone knows that BI stands for "Breidbart Index", knows how it is calculated, and knows that 20 is the threshold generally accepted by those who actively cancel spam.

BI is the sum of the square roots of the number crossposts of messages similar enough to be considered equivalent. "insanely repetitive" suggests more than 5 posts to 20 groups and since 5*sqrt(20)>22 that has exceeded the threshold used as the definition of cancellable spam by those who actively cancel spam.